Friday, November 7, 2008

My favorite part of the day...

would definitely be breakfast.

After my morning yoga display, I eat breakfast. At this point, Carlos and Ana Paula have left, Andrea is still asleep and Lili usually goes back to bed. So, I am alone and I get to eat. It has almost turned into something of a ritual for me.

Lili will set out a plate, a little bag with two pieces of bread, a cup of juice with a plastic container lid on top, a bowl with a hard boiled egg in it (already salt and peppered) a coffee cup, knife, little spoon, a butter knife, sugar, salt, and our hot water thermos. (Everyone in Peru uses hot water thermos' and it always reminds me of Hi-lo's 15th Street Cafe).

So, I sit down and slice my bread open and decide what I am going to put on them. I have a few choices. 1. Ham and cheese 2. just cheese(Edam) or ham 3. Cheese with strawberry jelly 4. peanut butter and jelly and sometimes 5. avocado. The avocado here is amazing. It tastes the same but different, like it is a bit creamier maybe. Good stuff, with a little bit of salt. Yum! So, while I decide what I want, I pour my hot water into my coffee cup and steep my tea. I like it really dark, so I let it steep the entire time I am eating. Oh, and I usually heat up my sandwhiches in the microwave. I eat my sandwhiches, then my egg.

And then it is my drink rituals, I take a little spoonful of sugar and drop it in my dark tea, then stir my juice. Lili makes fantastic fresh juice every morning. I don't know what all she puts in it, something a little different everyday, but mango, papaya, oranges, bananas, strawberries, and a little bit of water. It is heavenly. And it is what I use to swallow my 6 vitamin pills. And when that is all done, I place the tea bag in the spoon and wrap the string around so I can squeeze the rest of the water out of the bag. I stir up the sugar and then I just sit and hold my extremely hot tea cup in my hands and I feel at peace. It may be the only time of day when I feel really relaxed.

I don't have to think, I don't have to worry, I just hold my cup as I sip my tea.
I absolutely love this part of my day.

all for me, for now.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, where would we be without our rituals? I feel you about that one moment when we are at peace... Warm Smiles!

    ReplyDelete