Monday, November 10, 2008

Words....

So, I am finding there are some words that don't translate very well into Spanish, and they just happen to be the words that I want to use all of the time. Like the word WAY. The phrase, "I walk this way to work," way translates to route just fine. However, in the phrase, "There has to be another way to do this," way does not translate into the could be world of possibilities. I use it anyway in the middle of all the Spanish, way comes out of my mouth. Makes me laugh.

But there are some words that I have completely fallen in love with and wish there was a way to incorporate them into my everyday vocabulary. Like BURBUJA, it means bubble. And ROMPE MUELLE is fantastic as well. It's a speed bump, but translates literally to axle breaker. If anyone wants to join me in a movement to change speed bumps into axle breakers, let me know cause I will be all over that.

all for me, for now.
katie

2 comments:

  1. Katie, This really is not a comment about your blog as it is a hello and thank you. I got your note today and believe it or not I have a card on the seat of my car for you with a stamp on it and all ready to go. I did not mail it because I want to send something else in it, but am not sure what. I will mail it tomorrow and I just want to say how proud we are of you. we miss you and love you! God bless you for all you are doing in Peru!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I say "There has to be another way to do this" is "Ay que haber otro modo de hacer esto"

    "Otro modo" is "another way"...at least where I grew up..he he.

    When you say "way" in Spanish, it actually sounds likes "guey", which means jackass. Mexican guys tend to use "guey" as a form of "dude", like "que pues guey!"

    I've never been a fan of using that word when I talk in Spanish, but it is funny to hear my dad say that when he is talking to another "dude".

    There was a kids show on Mexican TV when I was growing up called "Burbujas"...it was pretty funny (kinda like Barney but less creepy).

    -CJ-

    ReplyDelete