Saturday, October 11, 2008

Still not a lot...

to say, but i want you all to know i am here and i am okay.

things are happening here and i am learning things everyday. my spanish is ten times better than i had expected it to be at this point. i even get compliments when people find out i have only been speaking it for about three months. three and a half now.

i think the thing i am learning about most is that i had more expectations before i got here than i gave myself credit for. i was convinced that i didn't have any, and now i think i was just fooling myself. things are harder than i thought they would be. but harder in a different way than i was anticipating.

over the past two years i have really gotten to know myself, flaws and all, and i feel like i became a new and improved version of myself. and now, i am struggling to be her still in this entirely different atmosphere. but i am aware. it really is challenging to see me slipping back into some of my old habits. but, in a way, i like it.

i knew this year would challenge me. that is part of the reason i am here. and i am glad for it.

so, for all of you out there who are tagging along with me on this journey, thank you for being there and playing your part in my life. know that right now, it is hard. and i need you, even though you are miles away. and even though it is hard right now, it will get better, and it will get worse, and again it will get better. and if i don't write much, it is like i keep telling my peruvian friends, sometimes i just need a little bit more time to find the words.

and remember, no matter what happens, tomorrow will always come and my hair will always grow.

all for me, for now.
katie

p.s. keep an eye out for the remake of my first official bus infomercial! i bought one, and you are gonna want one too.

1 comment: