Monday, October 6, 2008

I wish...

I had more words to write. Or laughter to share. Today was a tough day.

I am, to put it lightly, the least confrontational person I have ever met. I run away at all costs. If there is a way out, I take it. I am this way in English. A language I have studied and learned my entire life. It is even worse in Spanish. Honestly, I was so grateful that no one was home when I bought new pillows two weeks ago. I didn't have to explain that my neck hurt, I didn't have to worry about hurting anyone's feelings. I had escaped.

That is why this morning, at our office Monday morning meeting, when I felt I needed to address my language skills with everyone, I cried. I had barely gotten the words out, "Quiero preguntarse..." and tears were already welling up. I got through my well rehearsed speech, asking everyone to be patient with me. To try to speak more slowly if I need it. To maybe explain things in a different way. To try to be patient with me, and to not be frustrated if I ask questions. And to speak directly to me, not to Debbie or Leslie, to me.

I really do understand a lot. And my Spanish is getting better all of the time. I am reviewing what I learned this summer and am going to start taking some more classes in a few weeks. I rattle stuff off with my MamaP every night.

Anyway, that was today. A tough day.

A tough day that I made it through. A tough day that, even through my tears, my coworkers heard me, and not only heard me, listened.

Kind of cool how tough days can be good days.

2 comments:

  1. I feel for you! I have all the faith of the world in you to conquer this challenge.
    We miss you!
    ~Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can do it! of course you know that. i'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete