Monday, August 18, 2008

Postal Code 21...

So, I found out my host mother's name (Liliana Figueroa) and a little bit about where I will be living. Apparently she hosted another YAV in 06-07 year named Jason. So, he gave me a little bit of insider information on the barrio and the house I will be living in. My room is not connected to the house, but there is a little patio with a hammock!!! and some grass--apparently grass is not a common occurance in Lima. Lili has three children (ages 8-20ish) and her husband works in Washington DC.

I am getting excited now.

Only a week now until I leave. I finished my Spanish class last week, which ended up going really well. I was kind of surprised at how similar, yet very different at the same time, it was to French. So much of the vocab, verbs especially, have the same roots. Makes things a little easier I guess.

Anyway, I was thinking I haven't told you what all I am doing when I am there. I am working for two different organizations, kind of splitting a 40 hour work week into a 20/20 week. One is called Uniendo Manos Contra la Probeza and I will be writing a monthly newsletter called La Retama. They deal with issues like poverty, human rights and environmental violations. The other is called Bridge of Hope, which is a fair trade artisan group. I will be taking some photos and working on their website. I am really excited for this opportunity especially.

Okay, I think that is all for me, for now.
keep praying for me, and for the people who I will be meeting in just two weeks.
Pray for patience!

katie
www.manosperu.org
www.fairtradeperu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment