Monday, July 28, 2008

Fundraising...

So I was thinking that maybe I should put some information up about my acutal fundraising.

Things are going really well so far. My official number is $3460 as of July 15. I do have $1800 pledged on top of that and around $600 in change donation from my church---which for those of you who are math challenged is $5860. Over half way to my goal of $10,000.

A lot of people have questioned me about having to raise money to volunteer. Seems like a contradiction of sorts---shouldn't my willingness to serve be enough? Well, yes and no. The actual cost of me going to Peru is any where between $20,000-$30,000. This covers my flights there and home, money to my host family for feeding me and giving me shelter, keeps the support staff in YAV office in Louisville in gainful employment (they seriously answer at least 5 questions a week from me alone) and most importantly, I will once again have health insurance. It has been a while since that happened.

Point being, there are a lot of costs for me to do this, and thus, the fundraising.

Speaking of cheesecake, if you are interested in donating (a tax deductible donation I might add) you can do so really easily online with a credit card or send a check snail mail. Online, go to http://www.pcusa.org/yav/support.htm and scroll to the bottom of the page and click on my name. ( I am position 3). Snail mail, make checks payable to PC(USA) with the following written on the memo line (Katherine Rains ECO#210803) and send it to Presbyterian Remittance Processing, PO Box 643700, Pittsburgh, PA 15264-3700.

But really, outside of monetary support, I am in need of some prayers (aka thoughts, positive energy, good vibes, etc) . It's not always an easy thing to do what we are called to do. I talked before about fear. How truly meaningful things in life will scare you, but are, as a good friend once said, "worth it!".

I am not going to lie and say that I am not nervous or scared about leaving for a year, or finishing my preparations to leave. I am. And I was talking to someone at church on Sunday who asked how I was and I told her "I'm scared". She said, "Of course you are. It is so difficult to have courage of faith. But this is the right thing, your right thing. I'll pray for you." And that thought is still helping calm my nerves and swallow my fears.

Which is why I ask for more. Leaving with the thought that my friends and family are praying for me assuages my soul and encourages my heart. Thank you for this support. I need you.

All for me, for now.
Paix,
katie

No comments:

Post a Comment