Thursday, August 21, 2008

My first pair of blue chucks...

So, yesterday was my last day of work here in the states before I leave for Peru (at some point I have to learn how to make the little accents with a keyboard). It was a pretty good day. I bought my first pair of navy blue chuck taylors. It was a stretch for me to try them out. I usually wear black, but today I like them. And I am glad that they are blue.

And today has been wonderful.

I went and had reflexology and reiki done this morning. I have had reflexology done before and it feels fabulous, but have never experienced reiki before. It was surprising. First off, reiki is a process where your therapist, for lack of a better word, puts their hands on your body in a certain order in a certain way. It's kind of one of those "out there" forms of therapy that has to do with energy and balance. I liked it a lot.

When she started, she started at my head. Her hands where above my face, i could tell where she was even though my eyes were closed because 1. her hands blocked a little bit of the already dim light and 2. there was a heat that radiated. She touched my head in quite a few different ways and my mind was running rampant. Images and thoughts flashed wildly in quick succession. So many thoughts of my life here in Bremerton, and what is seemingly important, and what my ego needs. Slowly she worked her way down my body. She then returned to my head, and my thoughts weren't as quick. One image, one moment would linger for a little bit then fade, and another would appear. By the time she reached my feet again, I was thinking about a big white wall with a big piece of white art hanging in front of it, and a person would flash through the scene, wearing all white.

When she was done, it was just a white wall.

I feel much more calm. I feel ready. The time to be nervous is past. I am going to Peru. I am living in the biggest city I have ever even seen. I will be speaking Spanish. I am so incredibly excited. And the list of things I need to finish before I leave is now just a list of things I am doing today. Of things I am doing tomorrow. That will be done by the time I leave. And then I will be gone.

I hope you all have as peaceful of a feeling as I do right now. I could take a nap. But first, I need to mow the lawn.

all for me, for now.
katie

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I am so glad you have this blog! It will be fun to follow you on your journey in Peru. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. Will someone PLEASE tell me what "blue chucks" are?
    Blessings,
    Aunt Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Beth-
    the shoes i normally wear are called chuck taylors, after the basketball player from way back. they are canvas shoes with white rubber toes and bottoms good for people with flat feet. i just bought blue ones instead of black this time.
    katie

    ReplyDelete