Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hope...

So, this is a post I have been sitting on for quite a few weeks, but one that has really got me thinking. About a month ago, I was walking around the commercial neighborhood near the office of the Red looking for the beauty supply shop as I was out of face wash. I ended up on the wrong block somehow and before I realized that I was walking the wrong direction, I had walked past a young girl, maybe 15 or 16 years old, with a baby. She wasn't selling anything, she just had a cup out. I lowered my eyes and walked past her.

I have somewhat gotten used to the people on the busses selling chocolate, and people shoving things in my face at busy intersections trying to get me to buy something. There really is a sense of selling your wares here, even to the extent of bus cobradores and taxi drivers (I won't even be going to the bus stop, and gentlemen will be trying to convince me to get on their bus, or a cab driver will stop in front of me as I am crossing the street trying to convince me to use his cab services). Anyway, this girl was different.

I soon realized that I needed to turn around and go the other way, and that I would have to walk past her. We were warned in training not to feel like we had to give or buy things, that it was probably better if we didn't. I just sort of held my breath, but couldn't help but look at her and her baby. I didn't really want to give her money, but I did want to know her name, and her baby's name and how old it was. I was lost in these thoughts as I ran into the man in front of me as he stopped to dig for some change in his pocket. He went back and gave it to her. I kept walking.

I found my store, bought my facial cleanser and began my trek home. And surprisingly, I ran into another man as he reached into his pocket to dig for some change and I watched as he walked back and gave it to a woman sitting with some candy on the street.

It really got me thinking because even at home, when I go to Seattle, I see the same people sitting on the street with cups or candy and I walk past them in the same way. I wonder who they are and how they came to be where they are, but I never do anything. I think I might be too scared to. I realized how apathetic I am at times. And that is something I know I am highly critical of US society for-my generation especially.

It also made me think of the men, who, though they passed the girl with the baby and the woman in the street, went back with change. This is what gives me hope. I don't know if the answer is in the change we can spare, or if it is taking the time to sit and ask a name; trying to identify with that other person. But the thought alone gives me hope.

How can we ever change what is wrong with our society, with ourselves, if we can never admit what needs to change?

I guess I feel like this is more of a thought in progress as I don't know if I will ever have the courage to sit and chat, but I have hope, and I think that is a lot.

all for me, for now.
katie

1 comment:

  1. Katie! I am just now getting to read people's blogs and catch up! You write so well, and the issues you bring up cross my mind often. I am always humbled how selflessly and openly the Kenyan people give of themselves...especially to perfect strangers. It is something that I try to do often, and also fail at often...but I'm slowly learning! Girl, you just keep your chin up! I think of y'all often, and hope you're doing well. It's almost Christmas! Huzzah! Peace, and keep writing! Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete