Monday, September 15, 2008

Turning 27 in Peru... (aka telling a peruvian woman she spoke spanish poorly)

was not nearly as electrifying or life changing as I thought it was going to be. It was similar to many birthday´s I have had in the states. I called my mom and sang her happy birthday (we share the day) and she sang back to me. Ate food and cake and recieved an amazingly cool scarf from my Mama P (aka my host mother in Peru, her name is Lili and I like her very much. She is almost as sarcastic as I am). She actually made it for me.

The coolest thing about my birthday this year was that I have celebrated for three days. And yep, that means three cakes. I want to bring back the word ´rad´to describe how cool this is.

Other than that, I start work today. AKA writing this blog. I will be adding some pics of my house and my electric shower (not quite as scary as it sounds, but close) and family and friends down here shortly. Still figuring out this whole bloggin thing.

But yeah, my favorite experience thus far was attending the yearly Peruvian cultural dance of my 9 year old host sister(Ana Paula) at her school. Each grade does a dance in the traditional dress from a different region of Perú. It was amazing to see. I loved the music and the costumes(there were a few costume malfunctions which brought me to tears. Baby´s flying out of pouches, scarves and hats flying off, as well as hair. Let´s just say I held my breath when they lit a fire pit and waved nylon flags about.)

But my favorite part of the night was when a woman leaned over to me and said something. Still have no idea what. and She could tell I didn´t understand her, so she turned to her friends and said I didn´t speak spanish. She turned back to me and I responded ¨Si, si, halba español muy malo´, and the look on her face was of utter disgust and outrage. Which made me realize that I had just said, `you speak spanish poorly´, quickly trying to remedy my mistake I said, `no, no, hablas español muy malo´. again, the look of disgust. i now had said you speak spanish poorly in the informal tense. Beyond flustered at this point, I lowered my head and said `no, no, YO hablo español muy malo´and she said `si´.

All that considered, my spanish is getting better all of the time. Though, I do get a little gun shy with people I don´t know.

Otras cosas....

In orientation in Kentucky, they kept talking about things that we would have to give up. And I was imagining things like TV and going out on the weekends--not a big deal, my tv was unplugged sitting behing my couch for 9 months before I left. But the things I am giving up are much different than I imagined. Like, I am giving up my personal bedroom space. When you see the picture, you will understand. I am giving up my self consciousness when I do yoga--now in my living room where everyone watches. I am changing my very specific dietary likes to fit what is available and reasonable. I was definitely pushed in new directions of acceptance last week and only wish that I had had access to a computer to write about how I felt at the moment.

Other than that I am doing something that I am sure many YAV´s are finding themselves doing, making lists of similarities and differences. My differences list is much longer, and I am sure it will continue to grow, but my similarities list I like and would like to share.

·There are young adults and teenagers everywhere, falling in love. I am in awe of the idea that people have been falling in love since the beginning of time, despite war, poverty, malnutrition, governements, natural disasters, and everything else---there has always been love.
·Little kids are cute no matter where you are.
·Big cities have pollution, and poor, and hungry, as well, as rich, fed and can be clean.
·Families and friends laugh together and share their lives.
·We are all connected----my MamaP´s sister has family in Grand Forks and Fargo, where my parents and grandad live.

So, maybe not totally tangible things, but they are comforting to me and I enjoy them.

all for me, for now.
katie

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, that made me smile--especially the part about telling the woman she spoke Spanish poorly. OK, and the tiny, tiny room. I feel you there.

    Tell the family hello, if you will. That's great that you got to see Ana Paula's presentation. She's a pretty good dancer.

    ReplyDelete