Monday, September 7, 2009

"Home"; One Month Down.....

Wow. So, re-culture shock sucks way more than I could have imagined, and I was not looking forward to it to say the least. I am tired. I am cranky (and say mean nasty things to people I love). I am critical. I can come up with some more adjectives, but I think you get the idea. It is not good--no bueno, no bueno.

Though, I do have some kind of funny anecdotes, and what I did in general, to share with you about my first month home...

1. I, a 6 foot tall, slender, WHITE girl, was walking through the Atlanta airport speaking Spanish to everyone. Did I mention I had my entire possible conversation with customs worked out in Spanish....which was not necessary. They speak English in the US, go figure.

2. A lot of my friends were having issues with parasites as we were leaving Peru, so I was on the look out for so tag alongs. I needed to use the restroom in the ATL airport (as I had a 6 hour layover) so I went for it. I was sitting, taking care of business, and leaned forward to inspect the outcome, when WHOOOOSSSHHHH, I was reminded of automatically flushing toilets. If I hadn't just gone, it would have scared the crap right out of me.

3. I found that when I got home, while I only weigh three pounds more than when I left, I am two sizes bigger than when I left. How does that happen??

4. I went on a historical tour of North Dakota with my dad. It was kind of amazing and sad at the same time. We stopped at a few of the battlefields where the Sioux Indians had been slaughtered by Brackett's Batallion and others in the 1840's for crimes they did not commit.

5. I got to go to Ohio. It was the first time I felt like I was really home. Thanks for a great weekend everybody. If I didn't meet up with you then, hopefully I will see you soon.

6. I took a train, which was eerily like a Peruvian bus, and found out that I can't answer the question "Where are you from?" with out talking about Fair Trade, The TRADE act, Bridge of Hope, or Partners for Just Trade. I also started speaking Spanish again. Even dreaming in Spanish--I chatted with a fat little blind boy and he was helping me practice.

7. On the train, I bought a can of Coke for $2.00 (oh my goodness) and before I finalized the purchase, I asked if it was warm.

8. I get to have Spanish time with my nephew. I even made up a song called "Besos", where I sing "Besos por to Brazos" or whatever part and he gets kisses all over his body. I need to learn some more body parts. Like elbow.

Anyway, there is some stuff for you to chew on I guess.
all for me, for now.
katie

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that your re-education is going well. Har Har!! Just wondering if you're anywhere near Seattle? Love to hang. Chris and Des Seaver

    ReplyDelete