Thursday, February 12, 2009

Home...

Yesterday I went to Chorrillos with my co-worker Rita. We visited artisan group Mana. This was my first experience bringing a real design to a group and showing them how to make something. However, I wasn't totally aware that I was showing them how to make the "Magic Wallet" before hand. I thought I could just bring the picture and explain the mechanism and they would be able to make it. That was very foolish of me. We went through and struggled with words and we made the wallet and I think they are going to be able to duplicate it and make it even better. I am very excited to see what they can do.

However, this blog is not about the group or the wallet. It is about a thought I had on my way home. I had been in the bus for about twenty minutes when we hit Barranco. I thought, " I wish I could show my friends Barranco. It has the cool church with the façade, you can see the cross lit up in Chorrillos, and they have the Café de los Angeles which are really cool."

Then I started to think of all the cool things I really like about Lima; this dirty city where I hate living. I like Parque Kennedy, Parque del Amor, and where all the paragliders fly in Miraflores. The Plaza de Armas is cool and the Cruz de SanCristobal too, but there is a park near there by the river that I really like. And the best markets in town are right off the main plaza. My neighborhood has a really cool old church and a winery and the best ice cream scoops in town. The neighborhood where I work has a park in front of this old gothic looking church where every Friday, the community gathers to play music and dance. It's fun to watch the old people merengue.

I guess this just made me realize that I am home. I miss my friends and family back in the states, but right now, I am home.

I hope you all are well.
love you much,
katie

1 comment:

  1. That's what I was hoping to read! I love that you've adapted and truly see the beauty of what's been presented to you. I can tell when I'm trudging through my days not realizing how much gratitude I should be showing. We do live in a beautiful world!
    Take care, chica!

    ReplyDelete